2/52.2009 "My Guy"

BeeGee, late 20082/52.2009 My Guy - small art quiltGolly, it's only January 6 and I've already completed my second of 52 weekly quilts in this series. It's so much fun, it's all I want to do. I want to turn everything into a quilt, at this point!

This second small piece also fulfills an exercise in The Art Quilt Workbook -- printing a digital image on fabric and quilting it. That's rusted fabric that I printed the image on, and the surrounding fabric was a black print commercial fabric that I discharged twice then printed on. The backing/edging is commercial cotton.

My Guy is about 10 inches square. The first piece in the series, Figs, is 9 inches square. I was planning to stick to the smaller size, but the new one got a little bigger, and I figured what the hell, I'll break my own rule. So far, all my quilts have been different sizes, and I realize it would be a good idea to be consistent, if for no other reason than it would be good to be able to make something that conforms to a size specification. I'm also thinking about future presentation, and designing small quilts to a standard size that could then be mounted on standard-sized stretched canvas is what I'm aiming for. But I'm just starting out, so who really cares!

Regardless of what I do size-wise with the "52.2009" series, I am planning another series of quilts to be 12 x 15 inches in vertical orientation, based on digital images I'm taking of fabrics that I've created by various means.

I've been hot on the loom for the past two days, as well. Finished the first piece of three, and am well into the second one. I also prepared an art cloth piece to be shiboried and am tying up another few pieces of fabric to be dyed or discharged.

Yesterday I felt kind of funky -- because it was Monday? because it was the first real day of the new year? -- I don't know. Today was a better day, and I'm getting back into a groove.

0 comments:

Post a Comment