New Stuff

Phoenix, handwoven art clothI love to actually come to the end of a project or piece, to call it done! Here's my latest art cloth piece, entitled Phoenix. I posted photos on the blog while it was in process so it might be familiar to you. It's handwoven of cotton and cotton/tencel, loom-controlled mokume shibori, underpainted with fiber reactive dyes, shibori discharged with bleach, arashi shibori'd with thiox, and finally the lines were enhanced with fabric pen. I've been looking at it in my studio for a couple of weeks, and decided I'd stick with the simplicity of it rather than gum it up, so to speak, with additional surface design.

Phoenix, handwoven art cloth

Also today, I finally made myself a design wall to pin up quilts-in-process. Here you see two new discharge quilts I've been mulling over for a while, and hope to finish in the next week or so.

gallery wall in my studio

The design wall itself is a piece of sound board -- that half-inch fibrous board that you can put pins in -- that's 3' x 4', covered with a piece of non-pilling fleece. I also have a piece of black fleece to use as a backing when needed. I just nailed the board to the wall. It'll make photographing finished work a lot easier now, as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment