Every Picture Tells A Story

I finished River of Regret today, the inspiration for which you can find in another recent post.The fabrics are variously printed or shiboried. It's a bit of an unusual piece for me, but I enjoyed making it.

Here's the backstory ~ I'm not sure what the original photo is of, but I'm pretty sure it's an aerial shot of some place in Asia, possibly China somewhere. The ponds look brackish and remind me of mine tailings or other industrial waste sites, places that are fallow and ruined, devoid of life.

Photos like this bring to mind how much damage we (collectively) have done to the planet, how we've caused extinction of so many species and raped the land of natural resources, leaving toxic deadness in our wake. Hence, the name River of Regret. It's not often that I mix politics and art, but I think I just did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment