This Fabric Was Saved

This week's quilt has winter written all over it ~ hence it's name, Winter Promise (#43/09).

The background fabric is a piece I recently treated with potato dextrin, and then painted black fiber reactive dye over it. Yes, black, unbelievably. I had originally planned to dextrin and then paint the cracked areas with Dynaflow, but I couldn't figure out how I could heat set the paint before washing out the dextrin. So I painted dye on it instead. The two pieces I showed several posts ago had been soda soaked prior to the dextrin/dye steps, but this piece started out as white and hadn't been soda soaked. So I added soda ash to the dye.

Dextrin has the capacity to discharge some dyes, and I'm sure the combination of the weakened dye (adding soda ash dissolved in water to the already-prepared dye solution weakened it some) and the dextrin discharge created this unusual lilac color. I thought the fabric looked pretty yucky, which is why I never posted an image of it earlier. But combined with these other soft colored fabrics, it really worked! I particularly love the soft greens and purples together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment