Stuffed Olives

Numerous potential names came to mind while I created this week's quilt, but I settled on Pimento Mori (#41.09), a takeoff on the Latin phrase Memento Mori, meaning "Remember you will die." Memento mori names a genre of artistic creations that vary widely from one another, but which all share the same purpose: to remind people of their own mortality.

I don't see this quilt as saying anything about mortality, I just liked how the name fit with the colors of pimento stuffed green olives. One of my possible names had something to do with martinis, which I don't like at all, but my dad loved them. And he'd always take 5 or 6 olives with each one he drank.

So perhaps this is my unwitting homage to my dad, who's birthday would have been in just a few days!

0 comments:

Post a Comment