Deep Color

Here are the two woven pieces I completed this weekend...

This first one is made entirely of hand dyed, handspun silk hankies, two different 2-ply yarns for warp and weft. The finished size is 7" x 56" and the scarf weighs in at a mere 1.4 ounces! I love the deep subtlety of the colors together. This reminds me of the madras fabrics which were so popular in the early 1960s.

The second piece, below, was woven on the same warp of handspun silk hankies, but the weft is a handspun merino/tencel yarn that I spun up several years ago. The scarf shrunk considerably more because of the wool, so the finished length is only 50". But I love the colors, again deeply subtle, low contrast.

I waited until finishing this project before warping the loom again, because I wanted to see how these turned out. Now I think I'll warp with more of my handspun silk hanky yarn and weave up another couple light-weight scarves.
I have lots more to share so I hope to be back later today. If not today, I can fill the week with goodies to show you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment