Another Beautiful Day At The Beach

This would be an ideal time to be at the beach ~ the weather has been cool and clear, and I imagine all that lovely late-winter flotsam just begging to be collected. This is not a good time for me to be collecting more stuff, though -- I've been getting rid of as much as I can to facilitate a major move within the next couple of weeks. I'll have to put off collecting more beach stuff until sometime this spring.

But I did finish my art quilt group project yesterday, and that's it, above. Entitled Samoa Beach ~ Humboldt County, it is 16 x 14" and combines handpainted or screened fabric with commercial batiks. The backing is a piece of deconstructed screened cotton. The photo of the ocean, closeup below, was printed on linen pre-treated with Golden Digital Ground Matte. I loved the color saturation with the digital ground, but do not like how stiff the fabric is. Next time I use this stuff with fabric, I'll likely only paint one coat instead of the recommended two. And I might thin it a bit with water, which Golden recommends NOT doing. But then again, I'm using it on fabric, not paper or canvas for which it was intended.

I'm working today on this week's 10 x 10" quilt and I hope to have it ready to post by tomorrow. I have two pieces of art cloth near completion, but I've been dragging my feet on them -- too distracted with the upcoming move. I'm slowly packing stuff up, makes it easier to deal with by taking it in little chunks instead of completely tearing the house apart in one fell swoop. Doing it in little bits also facilitates organizing stuff as I go.

If I sound perpetually upbeat about this move (read: transformation), know I've been keeping the less-comfortable emotional aspects of my change off this blog, and putting that stuff on my personal blog. If you have any interest in reading my lamentations about it, go there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment