Latest Discharge Quilt

I've been under the weather this week, which is why I haven't posted since last Friday. I haven't even been in the studio until this morning, when I completed the binding on my latest discharge quilt before having to stop and go home again. So here it is...Discharge Series, 8 ~ Out Of Africa.

All the fabrics are discharged cottons, except for the dark strips (cotton/rayon) and the binding (cotton/linen). And all were discharged with bleach, except the dark strips (thiox). The backing is commercial batiked cotton. The finished piece is approximately 23" square.

It's amazing how many different colors black will discharge to, depending on what the fabric was dyed with initially, and depending on the thread count of the fabric. The higher the thread count, the more black dye resists being discharged. Which makes sense, because the spaces between the threads are much smaller so the discharge cannot penetrate.

I'm kind of starting to get my art making energy back, but I definitely plan to slow down from here on out. I've lived my life as though it were a race...the end will get here soon enough, why hasten it? Why not slow down and enjoy the next third of my life?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment