Sweet Sixty Two

I created this collage yesterday, in honor of my birthday today.  I never had a Sweet 16 when I was a teenager, so I'm having myself a virtual Sweet 62 right here online -- if you're reading this post, consider yourself part of the festivities!

Being sixty two makes me an elder, in my mind.  In all the best possible ways.  I certainly don't feel old, and I don't consider myself old.  But I've been around the block enough times to feel wizened about much of life...

and hopefully about the making of art, as well.  Or the making of MY art, anyway, which I'm not sure can be categorized as any one thing in particular.  Which is cool -- no part of me needs to be categorized.  I am who and what I am, I make the art I make, all of it my individual expression of the Spirit within each of us.

I have the day off work today, giving me a 5-day weekend.  As always, I have big creative plans for these days.  I like to have more on my to-do list than I'm usually able to complete, because it keeps me moving forward.  I'm hoping to finish the last two Fortuna quilts -- one sky, one trees -- and then move on to blocking out the next series.  Those will be wholecloth, or nearly so, the fabric itself being front and center. 

An astrological note about today, February 18.  This day is the cusp between Aquarius and Pisces.  In newspaper-type horoscopes, Aquarius often goes through February 19.  But the actual cusp is the 18th.  As with any other cuspal day, whether you are one sign or the other depends on the year and the time of day you were born and where you were born.  Until I was in my 30s, I thought I was an Aquarius, because all the popular literature said I was, being born on February 18th.   But I never resonated with being an Aquarius.

Then I learned that I am a Pisces, and largely so because I was born at 5:35 pm on February 18 in 1949, in Los Angeles.  I'm actually just over the line, by five minutes of one degree.  But I'm a Pisces just the same, which is what I've always felt I was.  I've met and known a lot of people over the years who were also born on February 18 -- some Pisceans, some Aquarians.  Interesting, isn't it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment