Shirt So Far

This is the big cotton shirt I bundled last week with large oak leaves and rusty objects.  It sat for four days after steeping.

My original idea was to wear it tomorrow night to a dinner I'm going to, but I've decided instead to keep working on the shirt before I call it done.

I didn't get as good leaf prints as I'd imagined I would, because the fabric is fairly heavy and even with the tight bundling, I don't think most of the leaves had good contact with the cloth.

So I plan to over eco dye it again, and find a better way to get the leaves to print on the fabric.  Because there's a lot of residual rust in the cloth, I likely won't add any more to the next bundle.

All in all, though, I'm certainly not dissatisfied with the result.  The shirt is still pretty awesome, considering.  I really love the shibori-like effects from the folded and bunched fabric.

I also don't want to wear it until it's been washed.  And I'll let it sit for at least a month after I finish dyeing it before washing it.

I also plan to replace the buttons and likely do some stitching on it.  It might be one of those never-ending projects where I alternate times of wearing with times of working on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment