Far Afield

Sometimes you just have to get out of the way and let a project evolve into what it wants to become. I finished warping my loom this morning, at 16.3 inches wide, intending to use the 20/2 silk I handpainted recently for what I thought would be a painted weft piece. For the life of me, I just couldn't get the color areas to line up correctly. So after weaving a couple of inches, I ripped it all out and started again. This being my second or third unsuccessful attempt to use that silk yarn in a weaving, I decided I would knit it up sometime in the future.

So what to do with this undulating twill warp, 6 yards of it?

Cotton and tencel undulating twill fabric

Part of it will be woven up as in this photo, a pumpkin colored cotton on black tencel warp. It's making up a hefty fabric, with a lot of texture and diagonal cords, and I have no idea what I'll do with it in the end. At this point it's just being a lovely piece of cloth. Even though I'm not beating the weft picks in tightly, because of the long float length the weft is packing in at far more picks per inch than I would have imagined, so this piece might take a few days to weave up. But I am liking it, and I love the color.

Another lesson in letting go of expectations!

0 comments:

Post a Comment