Design Time

As soon as I began quilting one of the pieces above today, my machine decided to have power management issues. Drat...in to Eureka with it tomorrow! Consequently I had much of today to think about and design new work.

The purple piece above is a collage-inspired piece...the pea green/gold piece is something I've had in the works for a few weeks, now ready to quilt...the other green piece is this week's little quilt, a whole cloth piece of fabric I dyed recently...and the neutral colored piece is a texture study I'm doing as an exercise in Lyric Kinard's recent book, Art + Quilt. Since I never had any formal design training, I thought I'd pick up a few books on the subject, and learn some new things. I also got Ann Johnston's Quilter's Book of Design which I'll get into at a later date.

This is another collage piece in development. I've also been spending a lot of time thinking about Fiberactions' first theme, Initiative. I've enjoyed mind mapping and brainstorming with myself, researching the word in several dictionaries and Roget's Thesaurus, and strategizing how I might represent what the word evokes in me, in fabric. I hit on something today that I'll take to the next step of development. Our first project is due January 15.

Some of you may know that I have another blog, Textural Images, where I post photos, of life in Humboldt County, that have been tinkered with in Photoshop Elements. I decided in the last few days to focus my photography on the sky, since it is an everchanging source of awesome imagery. I should start posting the new photos in a week or so, soon as I finish off with the last series I shot.

And now twilight has set in and the trees' silhouettes are stunning against the evening sky!

0 comments:

Post a Comment