Artist? or Creative Person?

Periodically I ponder my life as an artist, in my endeavor to more clearly grasp where I fit in the scheme of things.

For a long time it mattered a lot to me that the world saw me as an Artist, with a capital A.  Maintaining that view required me to sell (or try very hard to) my work, including the ongoing marketing operation one is supposed to have in place in order to promote sales and build name/brand recognition.  All that effort for virtually no return bankrupted me more than once.

Nowadays I consider myself an artist with a lowercase a ~ in other words, one who has a creative response to life in every way possible, and who expresses who she is artistically.  There are no have-tos or shoulds in this scenario...only want-tos.

I'm only doing what I do to satisfy myself now.  I show you my work here on the blog for three primary reasons ~

     * posting what I create keeps me moving forward, prevents me from feeling that I'm working in a vacuum,
      * I have a personal commitment to letting my work be IMperfect, feeling free to show myself to the world in this way, and
     * maybe I can inspire some of you, or someone else, to be creative, to create art for the pure enjoyment of exploring one's own creative energy and seeing where it takes you.

In the end, how we've lived our lives is all that will count ~ whether we are creative with the life we each have, whether we joyfully express ourselves however we see fit, whether we use our limited time to create beauty in our own spheres of influence.  What won't matter is how much work we've sold or how well we've played the Artist-with-a-big-A game.  Not in my world, anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment