Something Different

Yesterday I started working with Dina Wakley's Art Journal Freedom.   What a great book this is.  Dina's approach to art journaling is SO different from anyone else's, it's like a breath of fresh air.  So I'm trying her methods, to stretch myself.

The first three images here are spray inks on watercolor paper.  I've used Dylusions inks, there are a couple other brands available as well.  All have slightly different properties (of course).  The image just below also has Perfect Pearls spritzed on it, pearlized spray dye.

I stamped the circles and squares with pigment inks -- they worked just fine.  Meaning they're as waterproof as I need them to be once they're dry.  The piece above was stenciled with craft acrylic paint.  That worked well too.  These papers will be cut up to be backgrounds in mini collages, and likely some art postcards.  The three pieces are currently 11 x 15 inches.

The last two images are paper towels that I used to blot the dyes.  I used the whole roll of towels, rolled once across each painted paper.  I'm not sure how I'll use these, but I sure like them.

Recently I began reading my art technique books all the way through before I start doing any projects based on them.  Most of the books I read previously to now I would put aside shortly after starting, because I'd launch into things quickly or maybe already try to do things differently than suggested.  Ms. Contrarian, here.  Consequently, it wasn't often that I actually finished the book, got all the juice out of it. Well now I'm reading the whole book first, to get the lay of the land, and then going back to the beginning to work through it.  This is a much more organized way for me to try new things.


0 comments:

Post a Comment