L-7

Crazy Quilt, 2007I did this quilt last year, right after I bought myself a new sewing machine. I love the juxtaposition of black & white fabrics with colors, also love the squares made up of trapazoidal pieces inside, as well as the collage quality of it. I've been hankering to do more sewing, quilting actually, but don't have anything in mind at this moment. Some of the new art cloth I'm working on in my mental studio has quilting, but I'm not sure yet whether it will be hand or machine quilted.

Sewing was the first fiber art form I took up, back when I was in junior high school. It was a requirement in the 7th Grade (Foods was the other requirement) and I did well at it. Sewing ran in my family -- my mother had been quite a seamstress, and my father also knew how to sew. In fact, he had worked for dress manufacturers in Los Angeles, and although he was a salesman for them, he knew quite a bit about garment construction. So I learned it easily.

I used to sew all my own clothes, back in the late 1960s-early 1970s, when it was less expensive to sew your own. These days nice fabrics are so costly, that it hardly pays to do it yourself.

I haven't really done much quilting but I do enjoy it and have been collecting fat quarters for the past few years. I'll see what develops out of my idea to include quilting in my new textile work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment