New Directions

Last night I posted four small watercolor paintings on Etsy, pieces I did several years ago. I have quite a few more of them, but only four framed, so those are the ones I posted. They're done with a variety of water media -- not watercolor paints, per se, but watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons, metallic paints, inks, and glitter glue. What I love about these pieces are the textured areas, the interstices between colors -- those elements I've been talking about here on my blog pretty much since I began it.

I am aiming to do similar work, soon, on fabric I have woven. I'm hoping to raise the bar on art cloth by weaving my own textiles to paint, dye, print on, bead and sew on, distress, whatever. I've found a whole new community of surface design folks at the Surface Design Association, which I recently joined, as well as two new-to-me Yahoo groups I've started participating in: complex cloth and surfacing. And my God, there are so many people doing outrageous things these days with fabrics and surface design. There's just tons of inspiration out there.

I'm trying to find the URL for a blog I've been reading that has lists of other blogs and postings related to an enormous number of cool resources and information, all textile related. As soon as I find it and/or get the next FeedBlitz from them, I'll post the link here.

I feel like a new world is opening up to me and I can't wait to see what I do with it all. I have numerous ideas in mind to launch into this summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment