Off The Loom & On The Wall

Painted warp for woven shiboriI just finished weaving the two pieces I was working on -- a painted warp piece, above, for shibori and surface design, and a plain silk twill piece, below, for shibori and surface design. I stitched three photos together for the piece above, photos taken of the piece hanging on the gallery wall in my studio. The piece below was also hanging but I just took this closeup of it.

Silk twill for woven shibori

So there are BIG projects in the works! The challenge will be working on these pieces because they're as long as or longer than my studio table! I see more table leaves in my future!

The next weaving project will be another painted warp, which I'll paint tomorrow, which will be woven with the silk weft in the photo below that I discharged over the weekend. This was leftover dyed silk yarn that I used as weft on the painted warp I just finished, and I thought I'd try discharging it to use for painted weft. I've never done painted weft before, so the woven results should be interesting. I plan to use similar dye colors for painting the warp tomorrow.

Discharged painted silk weft

Discharging is a real mystery, by which I mean you never know what you're going to get. I'm just a little unsure about the colors in the weft, above, but I already have some ideas in mind for surface design on the woven piece. Besides, if all else fails, I can always overdye, or re-discharge, or paint, or distress -- the possibilities are virtually endless!

0 comments:

Post a Comment