At Long Last

A couple of years ago I created this woven shibori scarf -- some of you may remember that I've been tinkering with it for maybe eight months now, turning it into art cloth. The piece didn't sell as it was, obviously, and I was never keen on the way it turned out, anyway.

So I've been reworking it since late last year. Here's the newly finished piece, entitled Undersea. The finished size, hanging, is 46" x 11.5" and it has been newly listed at Etsy and Soleyne. It's also going in my solo textile exhibition, which I'll hang on Monday. Boy, there's nothing like a deadline to get things finished up!

Here are all the steps I took to get it from its original form into the finished piece ~ discharged, overdyed with acid dyes, discharged again, arashi shiboried twice with acid dyes, itajime shiboried with fiber reactive dyes, handpainted with Lumiere, and foiled.

I'm really pleased with it. The process of reworking a piece is challenging. I'm glad that I've developed that muscle that allows me to keep working at something until it's the way it's meant to be. Earlier on in my artistic development I wasn't able to do that. Thankfully I can deal with that level of anxiety these days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment