A Little Night Music

I've mentioned several times recently that I wanted to do more abstract work with art quilts, and this is a new piece that I would put in that category. It's called Night Music, and it's 14x11 inches. And being a real fan of challenges, I've added monthly Abstract Art Quilts to my list for this year.

A word about challenges -- it's often said in the marketing domain that people respond to deals and deadlines. Creating quilting challenges for myself focuses my work and moves me along in the directions I want to explore. If you're overwhelmed with options, uncertain about direction or what you want to say, or you want to try new things, I highly recommend creating art challenges for yourself.

Actually, most of my work is abstract. Here's Wikipedia's definition of Abstract Art: Abstract art uses a visual language of form, color and line to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from visual references in the world. I would agree that most of my quilts have little, if any reference, to the actual world.

But for me the word abstract can also encompass
  • a variety of techniques or methods of representing thoughts or feelings
  • different or unusual methods of construction
  • novel ways of using media to express ideas on fabric
  • and more.
In terms of my own work (already created or forthcoming), I see it as being abstract if it
  • is a collage of fabrics and other elements not related to a preexisting image or photo or view of "reality"
  • goes outside the lines, works off the edge, in some way doesn't live within typical boundaries
  • messes with the original context of the individual elements, especially in the domain of digital images
  • focuses on a single design element or shape, line or color and pushes the envelope in some way
  • varies from standard expectations, my own or others'
  • makes me work for it, challenges me to bring forth and say, with fabric, whatever inside me needs to be said at that moment
I'm sure there's even more to this abstract thing. I've just begun trying to articulate the concept in "concrete" terms, getting it down on paper, so to speak.

I'd love to hear what you all have to say about it, and how you see abstraction in your own art.

0 comments:

Post a Comment