Hope Floats

Over the weekend I completed Hope Fulfilled, the quilt I began putting together on a bad hair day several weeks ago. As you can see, nearly all the fabric has been shiboried with dye or discharge.

The white areas peeking through everywhere are like vistas of hope, glimmers of light at the end of the tunnel. The finished piece is 29x15 inches.

I really enjoyed making this piece. It came together by itself, rather than by my attempt to replicate, in fabric, either a photo or a paper collage. And it made me realize that I'm finished with the photo-to-fabric quilts for now. They're not as spontaneous as I want to be working. In a sense, either are my collage-inspired quilts -- but the latter are less bound by image.

I'm feeling new things, new directions bubble within. Been thinking about this all, in the context of participating in SAQA's Visioning Project, and know this movement is a good thing. I can't hold myself to even my own personal challenges if they no longer satisfy my soul and they've become rote.

On Saturday I took an Embellishment/Thread Painting class given by the incomparable April Sproule. I feel so lucky to live in the same burg as April, get to hang out with her in her studio, share ideas and info. Anyhow, now I have new techniques to explore. I hadn't been attracted much to thread painting previously, but now that I've stuck my toe in the water, it's quite fantastic. If you're intrigued, also see Susan Brubaker Knapp's thread painting tutorials in this year's Quilting Arts, beginning with the February/March issue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment