Cool Air



This is Late Spring, just completed over the weekend.  Measuring 26" x 17," this is one of two tree pieces in my small local series.

The cool greens of this piece evoke feelings of newness, still-cool air, summer still on the way.

I had a terrific weekend, got lots done.  I'll be teaching a shibori class in Eureka in a couple months, so yesterday I started dyeing a lot of color samples.  It's interesting to me how each time I start a big dyeing project, I realize I am at a  new level of knowledge and understanding of dyes, colors, procedures.  In other words, I am formulating my own colors and processes as I learn more.

Actually, this phenomenon -- if that's what it is -- is apparent in all the surface design I do.  As it's turned out, I take on a few processes each year, play with one for a while then move on to the next.  I may not get back to something until nearly a year has passed.  But the next time I do, I'm that much better at it.  I guess that's growth in action.


Tomorrow I'm digging up and transplanting bamboo -- two clumping bamboos that I put in the ground nearly two years ago.  They were each about 10" in diameter at ground level...I'll be dividing them tomorrow and now there's enough for maybe 8 good-sized plants!  Most of those will go in tubs and grace Rose Cottage, the others will go to a friend.  I'm looking forward to having it here -- I love bamboo.  One of my fondest memories of living on Maui was walking through the bamboo forest near the Seven Sacred Pools.  But that was a lifetime ago!

0 comments:

Post a Comment