The Colors of My Name

Family Farm ~ 11" x 24"
Today is Fiberactions' reveal day for our latest challenge ~ which was to choose colors that begin with the first letter of your first and last names, plus black.

As usual, I couldn't stop at just one for each of my names.  So I chose chartreuse, celadon, rust, and rosy-orange.  And two quilts, of course.

The piece at left is Family Farm.  It reminded me so much of rows and patches of vegetables and flowers, hence the name.  I used Rayna's method of slicing and dicing sets of fabric strips, a technique I've been working with lately which you know if you're a regular reader. 

The pieces are so small in this quilt that I didn't want to make it any busier with quilting...so I HAND quilted all the long seams in the ditch.  This was the first time I've hand quilted a machine pieced quilt, and I like the technique quite a bit.  I'll likely do this again on other quilts.

The second piece, Pinnacles, was actually the first of the two strip sets I'd sewn together.  I liked it so much, though, that I didn't want to slice into it.  Instead, I fused the black pieces on top, then quilted the whole thing.

In both quilts, the colored fabrics are a combination of hand dyed, hand printed and commercial fabrics.

Pinnacles ~ 20" x 22"
Head on over to Fiberactions to see what everybody else did.

0 comments:

Post a Comment