Recycled, Squared

I spent some time on Sunday hand stitching new bottoms on a couple pair of polar fleece socks.  These are the only socks that really keep my feet warm during cold weather.  Despite the fact that I knit, and that I've enjoyed knitting socks, I do not like to wear handknit socks ~ they bother the bottoms of my feet regardless of how finely they're knit, and animal hair (wool, cashmere, alpaca et al) inevitably itches.

It's well known at this point that polar fleece is made from recycled soda bottles.  I like supporting that, a lot.  What I haven't liked is that these socks, which cost a small mint, wear out as quickly as (possibly more quickly than) traditional socks, commercial or handknit.  And yet throwing them out and replacing them, because they simply cannot be darned like traditional socks, just doesn't make sense, especially if you're into recycling in the first place.

I considered making myself new fleece socks, but the ones I already have are fine everywhere else than the bottoms, primarily the heel, and I just can't jettison them.  So I am recycling my recycled socks.  I have another two pair waiting for their new bottoms to be stitched on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment