When In Doubt, Rip It Out

So I started weaving this morning, and with close to an inch done up, I realized that I much preferred the color of the waste yarn header as weft, than the apple green silk I dyed the other day. So I ripped it out, reskeined a bobbin's worth of weft yarn, and now have the weft skeins soaking for a dyeing do-over. Which I'll do this morning.

I've learned recently that if something isn't really right now, it won't be really right later. And I'll just hem and haw internally until I take the time to go back and correct what I don't like. This has happened a couple of times with the afghan I'm crocheting (and nearly finished with, in the nick of time to enter in this year's county fair)...there have been yarns I've used that were too fine for my purposes, and I've actually put on inches all around the afghan, concerned about that yarn, watching how it handled itself once additional yarns were added...then finally decided, days of work later, to rip it out and double or treble the yarn in question. Or put it with another fine-ish yarn.

So to actually see something I don't like and change the situation NOW, this is a good thing. And weaving is far more difficult to change, once you're into a piece, than crochet or knitting is. So now was the time for corrective action.

Which reminds me of a beautiful shawl I knit a few years ago, of hand dyed, handspun tussah silk in a variegated plum and rust colorway. I designed it to be panels of my favorite lace pattern, but after completing it and wearing it once or twice, I realized that it was too narrow and too long. So, one day I completely ripped out the whole thing down to scratch, and started over knitting it about twice as wide. Now I like it better. Although I don't wear it often, if at all, because it's not really my color. I suppose I could redye it...but I added beads along the bottom edges a few years ago that match the yarn color, so I suspect redyeing it is out of the question.

I guess I've just got to let things be as they are, at some point. I had a brief conversation with myself recently about perhaps adding surface design elements to the woven shibori scarves that I haven't sold yet. But I quickly changed direction to focus on new work, rather than forever tinkering with work that is already finished.

0 comments:

Post a Comment