Thirty Inches

I redyed my weft yesterday -- overdyed the apple green with an off-black -- and it turned out just right. I have about two inches woven thus far, and yes, my arms and back already hurt from the 30" weaving width.

One thing that I know doesn't work for me is using a long shuttle. In my weaving history, I've rarely used one. Holding this long shuttle in my hand and drawing out more weft and maneuvering the thing within the Schacht's short depth of space between the front beam and the beater is like adding insult to injury for me. So I'm using my trusty shorter shuttle with 4" bobbins, and scooting the thing along through the shed from on top of the lifted warp threads when I must. Seems to be working just fine.

But my upper back is already feeling the pinch. Plus shifting from side to side with each pick to check the selvedge tension. I'm wondering how other weavers manage wide warps without using flyshuttles. If you're one of these folks, please let me know.

I really want to be able to weave wide(r) pieces although I realize weaving narrow panels and sewing them together would be an excellent alternative. I'm just thinking about those cases where one has a wide design or pattern in mind, particularly with a painted warp piece. Perhaps the key is to paint the warp at one time, then divide it in two sections and weave each separately. I might try that the next time.

Meanwhile, I've got six yards of 30" cloth -- two different pieces of fabric -- to manage before moving onto the next project. I am quite happy, though, with the painting and the way it is working up. I'll upload a photo on my next post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment