Polka Dots!

The latest little quilt I'm working on is a piece of black cotton/rayon that I'd discharged with small squares -- and today I discharged this black cotton for the backing. Discharged polka dots, how cool is that!

Discharged polka dotsMost of the yard of fabric was discharged with Clorox Bleach Pen, and looks just like the section on the left in the photo...although in the flesh the dots are quite a bit more orange -- good Hallowe'en fabric! That first pen ran out, and I went to the Dollar Store to see if they had the same thing, but they had a different brand, which you see on the right, and which I thought I didn't like at first...so then I went elsewhere to get another Clorox pen to finish off the project. But in the end I think I prefer the quality of the patterns with the off-brand bleach pen, so now I'm looking forward to doing something else with it. Essentially, the bleach liquid in the second pen was thinner and clearer, but it leaves marks that look quite a bit like wax does on fabric.

Anyhow, now I have backing for my quilt, which will be another whole cloth quilt, embellished with metallic paint and beads. I'm anxious to get working on that. I do love to quilt, making all this interesting fabric has awakened the quilter in me, and I just joined SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates). It's likely Rayna Gillman inspired me here, by using her fabulous printed fabrics in her fabulous quilts!

Merino and silk yarnsI've been spinning a little bit these days, as well. Not nearly as much as I had been for the last 10 years, because my hands have been bothering me a lot! I've been spinning up the multi colored merino on the left, making singles that I will weave up with this hand dyed 2-ply silk that I spun a couple years ago. I'm thinking of doing a shadow weave piece, then using that as a substrate for surface design.

I guess I've really taken to heart that old wives' adage, Idle hands are the devil's playground, because my hands are very rarely idle!

0 comments:

Post a Comment