Something For Everyone

I had a great time printing fabrics yesterday, in addition to finishing off a couple of pieces with potato dextrin resist. This was my second time working with the resist paste and things went a lot better than the first time. So now I'm anxious to do more. Soon as I finish off the potato dextrin I'll be moving over to flour paste resist -- flour is more readily available, less expensive, and it looks like you can get as good or better results with it. So stay tuned for that.

The piece above was dyed a couple of times before I resisted it. After the potato dextrin was dry, I painted on black Setacolor textile paint and let it dry/cure overnight. Setacolor paint sets rather quickly when heated with an iron...I figured that leaving it be for 18 hours would be good enough to set the paint without the addition of heat, and I was right. It worked. The fabric above is after scrubbing the dextrin off, and a hot water wash with synthrapol.

This second piece was also resisted with potato dextrin, then I painted on bleach gel and let it sit for maybe 15 minutes. The areas of the fabric that had thinner applications of the resist (not shown in the photo) bleached out quite a bit more. Now that I have a little bit of experience with this type of resist, I plan to aim for a thicker application so that the cracks will be bigger -- thinner resist = finer cracks.

I used several deconstructed screens that hadn't been exhausted the last time I printed. Previously I thought I'd rebuild pattern on the screens, but yesterday decided to just use them as is and start over the next time I do DSP. I'm really happy with the results here.

This was the last printing with a glue gel screen I've used numerous times.

Another deconstructed screen print.

Roller printing.

Deconstructed screen print.

Stencil print with my very favorite pattern gadget, one of those bottom of the sink things -- I always forget what they're called.

All the fabrics I printed on yesterday were previously low water immersion or direct application dyed.

Today I completed Kirby's quilt, which I'll upload tomorrow. Hope you've all had a good weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment