First Three Pages

My first three Sketchbook pages, in reverse order. Number 3 is above, then 2, then 1 at the bottom. My theme is Lines & Grids and obviously I'm making little collages of lined and/or gridded images.

I'm also putting a tiny bit of glitz in each collage, although it's difficult to see in the photos. My biggest challenge has been how, and whether or not to treat the pages after building the collages...because each finished sketchbook will likely be handled by tons of people.

Normally I use rubber cement with my collages, and I'm doing the same in the sketchbook. But the first two days I experimented with varnishing the page, front and back, with a light coat of acrylic. I don't like how the pages curled, even with flattening. So I tore out those two pages, rough finished the edges around the collage, and rubber cemented them to new pages. Today's and subsequent entries will be rubber cemented on the page. Period.

I've decided not to be attached to what the book will look like after being viewed by the multitudes. It's ephemera, for God's sake! It doesn't matter to me how long it lasts. I'm building the sketchbook and putting it out to the world. It's not going to come back to me. In fact, I hope it gets really well worn and maybe begins to fall apart in transit to its next life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment