Unity in Diversity

This piece is Unity in Diversity, completed just a while ago.  It measures 24" x 17" and features two favorite pieces of cloth.  The left piece started out as black raw silk that was nearly impossible to get the color out of as a shibori tied piece in a thiox bath...so after unwrapping it, I just plunged the fabric back into the thiox...it came out beige and kind of a dark indigo...after that dried, I painted thickened black dye on, then steamed.  The piece on the left is hand dyed muslin that was soy waxed and then discharged.

That diagonal fabric inspired some early photos of surface designed fabric, and two years ago I created this quilt -- Mojave Sunrise -- with one image transposed and printed on linen.

Here's a closeup of the circle side of my new quilt -- you can see here that I've sewn beads on this quilt as on all my recent pieces.  You can also see how this image itself could likely spawn further work, printed on fabric and eventually quilted.  That's how these things work for me.

And just for fun I did a bit of tinkering with the original image...and it's possible that I might do something else down the road with this as well!

0 comments:

Post a Comment