All In a Day's Work

Despite getting a late start on Tuesday, I managed to start and finish this quilt -- all except the sleeve and label.

I'm calling this piece Plum Crazy, it measures 26x13 inches, and is a single piece of deconstructed screen printed linen.  Actually, the four center sections are that same screen, while the borders were printed with a glue gel screen design.  Still just one piece of fabric.

I've had designs on quilting this piece since printing it nearly two years ago.  That finally happened.  When I began yesterday, although the piece had been basted a month or more ago, I was feeling iffy about it.  But I'm glad to say I'm very happy with it.

You may be able to see on the closeup shot that there are 3-cut seed beads scattered throughout.  The slight out-of-focus aspect is because I had originally printed the fabric a year earlier with a different screen.  That print appears beige-gray in the background.

I've made a number of new collages in the last week, and feeling good about what's happening here.  There's so much out there in the way of inspiration -- other artists' work, blogs, books, etc. -- and my goal here, as with my quilted art cloth, is to have my work be different than others'. 

I realize we all borrow from each other...but I still don't like seeing people's work in whatever medium that looks so much like someone else's work that you think it IS that other person's work when you first see it...or work coming out of a class taught by a well-known artist, that all looks remarkably like that artist's work.

Anyway, more shall be revealed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment