The Trouble With Harry

I saw the last Harry Potter movie yesterday.  Since almost everybody I've heard from has raved about it, I thought I'd throw my contrarian two cents into the mix.

Let me say first that I almost never see movies at the theater any more.  Not only are they incredibly expensive -- even matinees are getting up there in price -- but I simply can't hear the dialogue.  Yes, I have some hearing loss, but still it seems as though the sound is turned down to where I have to lip read what the characters are saying...or cup my right ear, both of which are painful for a couple hours at a stretch.

But given the fabulous sound systems in theaters nowadays, I shouldn't have to miss what's being said.   They've all got these great Dolby or THX systems that are really thrilling when they advertise themselves at the start of the movie -- but then the sound volume is never turned up to where you can actually hear what's going on, let alone give you your money's worth for what the technology is touted to be able to deliver. It's like having a car with a fast and powerful engine and then never taking it out for a drive.

The lighting of many movies these days, the brightness, also is turned so far down that it looks like everything has been filmed after dark or inside a dungeon.  I realize it's to set a mood, but still the effect is that the movie is virtually colorless.

So such did I find the latest and last Harry Potter yesterday.  I did see it in 3D, which is the only way I will see a movie in a theater if I do at all.  So despite the fact that I couldn't hear anything that wasn't shouted by the actor and the fact that hardly any of the production design could be seen because of the poor lighting ~ I enjoyed the graphics and technology of the movie.

I also found the story to be plodding and slow.  I'll admit to not being a die-hard fan of the Potter series -- I've only seen two or three of the earlier movies -- but except for a few scenes, this effort seems as though it must have been like dying a slow death.

So there it is, I've said my peace. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment