Seasonal Pursuits

This is my growing stack of botanically printed and dyed fabrics, most of it anyway.  I have a few pieces in play, waiting to become finished work, i.e. handstitched quilts.  Not sure yet whether the middle layer will be extra thin batting or another piece of fabric.  I'm still fooling around with that especially regarding bigger work.

And this is my basket of handstitching threads to compliment the fabrics.

I'm onto a third knitting project.  This one is in straight stockinette stitch meant to curl.  The yarn is a handspun black merino with bits of silk noil.  This was commercially prepared top I got from Ashland Bay eons ago.  It's one of those yarns that show off best in stockinette stitch.

Easy knitting has become the new spinning for me.  I used to spin everyday, my wheel was always at the ready and I always had a project going.  I'd spin for at least an hour each morning, rather like a meditation.  It helped me center myself for the day.  And I'd sit down to spin whenever I was between other projects, or while waiting for something to cook on the stove, or any other time I had a few minutes to spare.

Knitting is fulfilling the same function for me now.  A good place to start the day, something I can pick up for a few minutes here and there (or even for hours outside), a few rows before going to sleep.

Yesterday felt like the hottest day of the year here ( probably about 80 degrees), I had both fans running all day.  There's rain in the forecast for this weekend and into next week.  Here comes autumn.  Have a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment