Ann Merchant, an 1838 Reproduction Sampler

This morning I began the process of reproducing a sampler that I purchased last summer. The sampler was found in Pennsylvania. It was well worn but what called my name when I saw it was the fact that my mother's maiden name was Merchant. I have spent quite a bit of time researching the Merchant Family over the years and I know that the family came to this country in the 1600's through Massachusetts but evenly settled in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and New York. My family eventually settled in Virginia. I have gone through all of my research but only found one Ann Merchant that was born around the right time. The sampler was dated 1838 so it was easy enough to research. There wasn't enough information to know for sure that this was the same Ann Merchant who at age 11 worked so diligently on her sampler. I have tried to photograph it but the threads are so old that it does not do justice to the piece. This Ann was probably a relative of mine because of the location of where it was found but for sure I doubt that I will ever know. But one thing I do know is her work found it's way to me. It will be loved and proudly displayed at a home of a needleworker.

0 comments:

Post a Comment