This Week's Challenge Project

I experimented this week with making my first book, a portfolio actually.  I'd seen some easy books with quilted bodies and pages simply sewn in and decided to give it a go.

I simply used batting between the inside and outside fabrics, although I will use Timtex or something similar between the fabric next time.  The bottom pocket, which runs across from front to back, is also batted.  The small pocket at top on the front isn't.

The first inside photo is with the original papers I'd sewn in.  I used a variety of old and/or handmade papers.

But then I decided to actually use this portfolio when I attend NorBAG meetings and want to take notes.  So I removed the original pages and stitched in grid and other paper that I can write on.


I'm slowly making progress on a few other mixed media projects.  I finally began art journaling, something I've been wanting to do for 5 or 6 years, and I am enjoying the process.  I'm working in a spiral bound journal. 

I'm also taking an online class on altering books for art journaling, given by Tammy Garcia at Daisy Yellow Art.  Exploring numerous ways to build journal pages.  This, in addition to working in several wonderful collage and journal books I have, the best of the bunch by Jane Davies.

Perhaps you can help me with something ~ I'm looking for foreign-language newspapers to use in my artwork.  Humboldt County, CA might be the only place on the planet where you cannot get a foreign-language newspaper anymore.  The Humboldt State University Library does not carry them, the small independent booksellers no longer carry them.  Borders did, I think, but they're long gone.  If you have access to newspapers in any of the following languages (or others not listed) and you'd be amenable to sending me ONE issue, I would be very grateful.

I'm looking for papers in...Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic and Spanish.  Thank You!

0 comments:

Post a Comment