Western Skies

I just love this piece! It's my latest digital quilt -- featuring another fabulous Fortuna sky photo -- called Western Skies and just finished this morning. The background fabric is one of my first shibori pieces from Jan Myers-Newbury's class last year at Eugene Textile Center. The striking color combo was just waiting for the perfect confluence of elements.

After finishing the quilt unbound, it needed something near the edges to frame it somehow. I decided on these small pieces of abalone left over from my jewelry-making days. I dug out my Dremel, drilled holes in the abalone, and stitched them on like buttons.

I'm really pleased with myself -- it's always a blessing when something turns out better than you'd expected it would!

Hoping to finish the Convergence challenge quilt this weekend, to be revealed on May 15. After spending so much time thinking about this piece and trying out various ideas on small study quilts, I'm definitely ready for this ship to sail!

0 comments:

Post a Comment