Would You Believe Black?

I dyed that black shibori batch today, and these are my results.  Quite a spread of color, eh?  Remember, though, that the three pieces on the left had been dyed, discharged and overdyed before today's treatment.

The first piece was that loosely woven cotton scarf -- now a piece of fabric with the rolled edges ripped off -- and as we speak it's on my design wall with a digital image and some scraps, on the way to becoming a quilt.

This was one of the permanent press muslin pieces -- it dyed fairly light grass green in the last go round, now the black lines are actually brown on the fabric.

This is my handwoven scarf -- the fainter black lines are the original arashi lines.  The photo just below is about what the scarf looked like before I overdyed and overshiboried it...

...although in reality this is the same photo as above, but photographed without flash.

Here's an interesting comparison -- both pieces were unbleached, previously undyed muslin, the one on the right with permanent press treatment, the one on the left without.  Same black dye bath.  Amazing, huh?

And this last beautiful fabric is a small piece of silk chiffon.  A year or more ago I shiboried the circles onto it.  Yesterday I folded it in half lengthwise numerous times, attached the top of the bundle to one end of a 1" diameter dowel piece (about 12" long), and twisted the silk as I wound it around the dowel.  Scrunched it down and then rubber banded the other end.  This is a new technique to me, something I just learned from Mandy Southan's Shibori Designs & Techniques.  Awesome technique for really fine fabrics!

0 comments:

Post a Comment