Bag With Backstory


This cool new bag began life as a sweater I knit a few years ago, out of unusual yarn that I had spun out of fine wool with cut up weaving thrums carded in, then plied with rayon thread.  Even though I washed and hung with weights to relax the overspin in the yarn, I wasn't able to get rid of that bias in the knitted fabric.  Well, the sweater, which I did wear once or twice (before deciding, finally, that I hate to wear wool anymore), wasn't good for much any longer besides hanging on a nice hanger.  So my dear friend Jan, from Santa Cruz, suggested I throw it in the washing machine and felt it.  Which I did.

I cut the now-felted sweater into four pieces, removing the seams, and then turned it over to another dear friend, Patty, to do her felted bag magic on them.  And this is what I got back this week, complete with heavy silk lining, two inner pockets and one on the outside back.  Wonderful, isn't it?

This is what the sweater looked like right after I knit it.  It got more biasy when I wore it.  Oh well -- the knit fabric makes a terrific bag!

In other news, I'm on hiatus from making Sketchbook Project collages, because I am coating the 2-page spreads with gloss medium.  I can only do a few pages a day.  After I catch up to where I'm working, nearing the front of the book, I'll finish off the collages.

Have begun to look forward to the end of my Italy series quilts.  So much so, that I miscounted in my last post.  The next one I post, late this week, will be number 10, not number 13 as I thought.  But now I have 4 more ready to quilt, and 4 waiting to be designed.  That will bring me up to 18, most of which I will show next year.  I think I'm going to do a big push and finish this series before moving on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment