Cloud of Unknowing

Finally something new to post -- just finished today, Cloud of Unknowing, 26x17 inches.  This piece belongs in the Beyond Boundaries periodic series.

As I have with many quilts recently, I put two layers of batting in this one.  I've been using thin-ish cotton or thin cotton/poly batting when I double up.  I love the deep relief that the quilting lines create, plus the heft of the finished quilt.  I've found that heavier or doubled batting makes a piece hang a lot better and flatter than a single layer of batting does.

The center image was one of my many digital experiments.  In this case I printed the image on a transparency, then burnished it onto fabric treated with acrylic medium.  The colors transfer in an unusual way with this method -- I wasn't able to get the full spectrum of colors -- but I like the moody, uncertain quality of the image.

I had an excellent liquidation sale over the weekend, was able to sell a lot of no longer needed materials plus a few finished pieces.  Then I posted a lot of the leftover supplies on Etsy and sold much of that in short order.  There are still some spinning and weaving supplies left, though, if you want to have a look.

Usually, at this time of year, I begin an exhaustive list of what I hope to do in the following year.  Last year at this time I was involved with SAQA's Visioning Project, my goal being to "find my voice" with art quilting.  A few months into the project I withdrew myself from the structured aspects of it, but I did continue to move forward with what I intended to pursue -- which was/is my fascination with digital imagery on fabric.  So in retrospect, I accomplished a lot this year despite giving up on the busywork involved in following SAQA's suggested visioning format.  The fact is, I'm not much of a group person, I prefer working on my own, don't need frequent support or handholding, and usually end up resenting the amount of time involved in group participation.

This year, I'm not even a SAQA member any longer (couldn't afford to renew a couple months ago), and I care less and less about following anything suggested or prescribed.  The only thing that's ever worked for me, in the long run, has been to follow my own muse wherever she may take me.  I'm finally okay with that.  I don't need anybody's agreement or critique of what I do. 

So anyhow, back to next year, I don't have any grandiose plans.  I'm just going to keep taking it one day at a time.  I know that as I continue to clear away old stuff from my life, doors will open with new ideas and new directions, and my next creative steps, whatever they may be, will happen organically. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment