Don't Forget

A new Coptic stitch book, made yesterday.  This time I even got the stitch right!  This little book is 4" tall by 5" wide, board covers are wrapped in a collage, and the pages are all cardstock.

I have a stretch stretch goal of making a book a day ~ but I'd be happy with a couple a week.  It's such an enjoyable process, and I love that the end product is functional.  This might be the first time in my vagabondish art career that I've actually made something that has a use! 

For several decades I've noticed that my night dreams often fall into categories.  There's the Work Dream group, which I had scads of, especially in the year or two after I left a particular job (and including my very last job, which ended in July 2011).  And the Show Dreams, which were always related to my having been a vendor for a number of years at art/craft shows (often those dreams were about not being set up in time for the opening, a new version of those age-old dreams we all had about not being prepared for an exam at school).  And Conference Dreams, which were where work and show dreams came together.

And then there were/are the Art Retreat dreams, two of which I've had in the last few nights.  I love those, and I only wish I could remember the awesome art made therein by myself and others.  Last night's was about BIG art ~ someone was working in a hardbound visual journal that must've been 18x24" in portrait format.  Somebody else was doing something to glass that gave it a smoky color.  Someone else was using a torch of some kind.  I remember thinking, "Wow, this is all much bigger and more involved than I can do at home." 

Much as I'd love to work on that scale, those days have passed and I'm happy to be working on a small, manageable scale with my work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment