Just Start

I made my first fabric book yesterday.  This is a direction in book arts that I've been wanting to venture in for a while.  Like most new things that I undertake, I've felt rather overwhelmed by the possibilities here.  But I knew I just needed to begin, with some idea/any idea, and then let it evolve from there.

This is truly a scrap book -- filled with scraps of paper and cloth, and constructed san souci.  The pages were stitched individually then put back to back with Timtex between.  The cover is merely two layers of fabric lightly fused before stitching.  Finished size is 5 x 7 inches.

There are innumerable ways to bind fabric books.  I simply stitched pages and cover together at the left edge.

It always works well for me to make a prototype of sorts when I'm trying something new...even if subsequent creations have little or no relationship to the first piece.  It's merely a starting point.

My next Fiberactions challenge piece, with the theme of neutrals, will be a fabric book.  And I have my idea in mind and fabrics selected.  I know that before I tackle that project, though, there'll be more experimenting with different options in fabric books.



0 comments:

Post a Comment