For instance, with acids, to get a good olive, I would mix Sabraset sun yellow with either royal blue or turquoise in a proportion of 7 yellow to 1 blue/turquoise, then add 1 part scarlet or magenta. The red in the green turns it toward brown, resulting in olive. Another option is to mix 2 or 3 parts of black into 6 or 7 parts of sun yellow.
None of the formulas for olive which included red worked with the Sabracron dyes -- I don't know whether Procion dye would be any different, it all likely depends on which red and which blue, and even which yellow you start with. At any rate, I did a shibori dye as well as several low water immersion experiments with the red-included olive green, and all turned out kind of a medium reddish brown.
So my last experiment was a shibori dyepot using 8 parts sun yellow and 3 parts black ~ and the upshot is that I got a really great olive green. Here are some of my results...
I've got so many projects going at the moment and so many things I want to do for the first time, or do again (like monoprinting, gelatin plate printing, deconstructed screen printing, ad infinitum) that I'm in a bit of overwhelm. I am working this week on the second quilt of three utilizing digital imagery.
I also have a solo show coming up in July and August that I'm starting to prepare for. This one will be at Cochrane & Associates, a brokerage firm in Eureka. I'll be hanging a mix of art cloth and studio quilts. Although all the pieces are complete, some need to be made ready to hang. July is still almost a month and a half away, but being proactive, I like to get a jump start on these things so I'm not slammed at the end, if at all possible. I also have two unfinished art cloth pieces that I would like to bring to completion to include in the show.