A Good Reason to Start

I often have to have a good reason to take on a new techinque ~ like I want or need something for another project.

Case in point:  I was working on a book yesterday and didn't have anything to use for end papers inside.  So I got out my never-before-used Gelli Printing Plate, and the first thing I did was what you see on the left, and it is now glued into said book awaiting binding.

I've had the Gelli plate for 6 months or more but didn't know where to start with it.  So now I've started.  A few other prints are below.  And mind you, I only spent about 20 minutes on this whole operation late yesterday afternoon.

As with so many other techniques, the possibilities here are endless.  I'm looking forward to doing more, soon.

If you're not familiar with Gelli Printing Plates, basically they take the place of homemade gelatin plates for hand printing paper and fabric, and they last forever if you take good care of them.  The best media to use on them is acrylic paints of all sorts.  They clean up in a snap. 

You can get them from the Gelli Arts website, also from Dick Blick where they're a couple bucks cheaper and depending on how much other stuff you're buying from Blick, you might get the plate shipped for free.  Shipping from Gelli is pretty high.  They just came out with a 12x14" plate (the one I'm using here is 8x10") and although the big plate is quite costly, I can see that I might have to have one in the future.  I'll wait to see if Blick carries it.

There's a New Year Sale happening right now on my Sales Blog ~

10% off everything up to $100
 25% off everything from $101 to $300  
 40% off everything else  

Sale runs through the month of January.  Details here.


0 comments:

Post a Comment