Inside Job

A footnote to yesterday's post...

I learned that Microsoft has stopped offering Windows Live Mail ~ which is why it suddenly wasn't accessible.  Sheesh, you'd think maybe they'd let users know these things, like Google did well in advance of the demise of Reader.  Also no longer available in Windows are those cool gadgets you could place on your desktop...I  especially liked the weather ones. 

My local tech informed me that Microsoft is moving much of its software to cloud technology, as Adobe has with its Creative Suite, Photoshop, etc.  Newbies to or upgraders of Adobe now have to pay a monthly fee to access software that's located on a cyber cloud. 

You can't convince me there isn't a multitude of potential security problems with cloud technology.  I'd never go that route.  As far as photo editing goes, there are countless free programs available online, and if my Photoshop Elements 7 ever goes belly up, I simply won't replace it with Adobe software.

Likewise with Windows operating systems.  Apparently Microsoft plans to support Windows 7, which I use and like quite a lot, through 2020.  But the next time I need a new computer, I'll most likely buy one that runs on Linux, which, for the uninitiated, is Open Source...meaning it is not owned by a gigantic corporation that's more interested in their own bottom line than in providing a fool-proof product.  Mozilla products like Firefox and Thunderbird are also Open Source and free.  And constantly upgraded by a virtual army of supporters and techies.

Power to the people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment