Leap of Faith

I'm sure most of you were impacted recently by the demise of Google Reader.  I tested out a few alternative readers earlier this year and finally settled on Bloglovin' to aggregate the 130+ blogs I read.  If you haven't checked it yet, I encourage you to give it a try.

Now Google is going to be doing away with Feedburner, a service that both enables readers to easily subscribe to blogs via email or blog reader, and provides detailed subscriber activity to blog owners such as myself.

If you are subscribed to my blog and getting email updates, you'll eventually stop getting updates, if you haven't already, when Feedburner goes away. I recommend you subscribe via Bloglovin'.

Otherwise, for those of you who don't have your own blogs, Feedburner's demise will be transparent.  For those of us who do, however, it means either finding an alternative (such as FeedBlitz), or simply not giving a toss anymore about subscriber activity.  Seeing as nearly every alternative will cost the blog owner (Feedburner has been free), I'll be in that latter group of blog owners who decide not to attempt to manage subscribers.

The alternative services all provide a lot more than just counting blog subscribers; they give the ability to send emails to subscribers...something I've always stayed away from because I think it's invasive to assume that just because you read my blog you also want to get emails from me promoting stuff.

In any event, if you haven't yet subscribed to this blog, or you are subscribed via email (via Feedburner) there's a new link on my sidebar to do so via Bloglovin'.  If you don't already have a Bloglovin' account, it's a snap to set up and easy to use.

0 comments:

Post a Comment