Start With The Best

I've been Gelli printing this week.   These are just a few images of the many papers I printed.  My goal throughout has been to create papers to use for backgrounds for other work, and my working parameters were few ~ Gelli plate, paper, paint, brayer and scraper (old credit card).  No stencils or other mark making tools.  And I've been using my 12 x 14 inch plate (the really big one).

The first two images above ~ the prints were made by rolling paint out with a brayer on palette paper and then rolling it onto the plate, then pulling the print off the plate with paper.  Kind of like brayering directly onto the paper, but using the plate as an intermediary.  For the print directly above, I inked and printed twice with black paint, then twice with burnt sienna.  The print at the very top was pulled after I painted titan buff over the plate following the earlier printing off.  This was late in the day, too, so there was a lot of residual paint left on the plate from prints pulled throughout the session.

These next two images are prints made by scraping paint directly on the plate and then pulling off the print with paper.  I love this -- look at all that residual color from earlier prints.  You don't get that when you scrape paint directly onto paper.

The last images are prints made following Carla Sonheim's method of Gelli printing, again with only plate, paint, paper, brayer and water.





0 comments:

Post a Comment