Line and Shape Combos

The last part of lesson 2 was to create compositions using shape and line on a painted background.  These are two of my pieces, 9 inches square.

After painting the initial black shapes on the backgrounds, I knocked them back (toned them down) considerably with white paint, then built the composition forward again with additional elements.

In the piece on top, I used a new-to-me technique, making simple paper stencils and masks and drawing inside the stencil shape or outside the mask.  Those jagged white lines were made with gel pen around the outside edge of a mask.  The squiggly gray squares were made with gel pen inside a square stencil.

In the second piece, I did more free hand work than I normally do.  The fat squares were made with paint and watercolor brush, the messy black circles on the painted orange circles were made with pen.  Actually, the orange circles were made using a paper stencil as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment