Adieu Isabel

I said goodbye today to Isabel, the lovely oak sideboard I'd had since the mid-1990s.  This photo was taken about a year ago, shortly after I completed Lakeview, the quilt hanging above her.

Although I am not sad to part with Isabel, because I was ready to let her go and move on, she did represent a number of things to me during her tenure in my life.  Having her as the centerpiece in my home for over 15 years made me feel as though I had had a loving family, that she was a family heirloom that had been bestowed upon me, as though I had a viable thread to the past.  Isabel also gave me the feeling of being settled, of being a family unto myself, the sense of having a place that I could always come back to.

Of course, all of that stuff was just the story I told myself for as long as my lifestyle could support having a huge piece of furniture and the space to accommodate her.  It was just that though, a story, and Isabel was just a beautiful piece of furniture.  As of this evening she is being installed in her new home, back down to southern Humboldt with friends I haven't seen in maybe eight years.  They are a family, there are young adults in the mix who will undoubtedly end up with Isabel, as she is passed down in the future to another generation of people who will love and appreciate her.

And now I am completely moved out of my recent former home...and almost completely out of the storage locker where I was housing a variety of things...and I've sold, dumped, or freecycled nearly everything superfluous to my life, now.  I can't tell you how good it feels.

0 comments:

Post a Comment