Far Afield

I've been so busy with this and that -- sorting and sifting, tossing, selling, paring down, organizing, reconfiguring -- that I've done virtually no art in the last week.  A few collages, but nothing else.  Nor do I have much to show for the last month.

This is rather perpetually how my life has been -- both my personal life and my art life.  I'll get just so far along in one medium or another, one home or another, one job or scenario or another, and then the universe shuffles the cards and things look altogether different when the dust settles.  I'm hoping the time will come, soon, when I'll feel re-inspired to get back into surface design and quilting.  The farther away I get, though, the harder it is to get my head around coming back. 

It's been really challenging for me to feel a sense of growth and development in a particular medium over time, because things have changed so frequently for me.  I'm not complaining, though...I feel grateful that I've been able to cover as much ground as I have in so many textile media throughout the years.  I just don't feel as though I've gotten really good at any one thing, and there is some regret in that.  Well, that's not totally true -- I got really good at spinning, but then my hands gave out.  But overall, I guess I'm more of a Jill of all trades than a true master at anything.

But maybe the issue in artmaking isn't about becoming a master at all.  Perhaps it's about trying a lot of things, experimenting with a lot of different media to find out what one likes best, then combining all those acquired skills and familiarity with materials into something new and different.  In other words, finding one's creative voice. In which case, I suspect I'm probably right where I should be in my own journey as an artist.

0 comments:

Post a Comment