August Mixed Bag

Mixed Media on canvas board, 8" x 8"
I had a great weekend.  Went in to Eureka for errands on Saturday (first time in 3 weeks) and what I hoped would be a good rummage sale...but it turned out to be a dud.  A blog friend recently posted photos from her excursion to a vintage mixed media sale ~ that's always what I imagine yard sales will be up here on the North Coast, but no dice.  There are a couple of better yard/rummage sales in the fall here, but everything else, including the 8 to 10 thrift stores in the area, is really hit or miss.  Anyway, I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt.
 
Recent ATCs, each 3.5" x 2.5"

Yesterday a gal pal and I went to the annual open house and auction at Miranda's Rescue right here in Fortuna.  Largely I wanted to go because I donated several art quilts for the live and silent auctions and I wanted to see how they did.  I'm so glad I went, I absolutely love that place.  It's right across the Eel River from where I live, I see it almost everyday, but I'd never been before. 

Miranda's is an animal rescue, adoption center and sanctuary.  In addition to cats and dogs, they've got large and small birds, rabbits, ducks and geese, horses, ponies, alpacas, a llama, sheep and goats, donkeys and burros, and even emus.  The grounds are beautiful, the animals are all happy other than that the small animals would probably like forever homes with new owners.  But if they had to spend the rest of their lives at Miranda's, they'd have the best of everything, including the love of countless volunteers.  Needless to say, I was and am impressed with the place.  And I'm hoping to be able to spend a couple hours with the kitties each week.

Hope you have a great week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment